Internet Usage Policy
All customers should read this document.
You are responsible for the policy written here, and your account
WILL BE DISABLED WITHOUT WARNING if you violate it.
(Information about reporting abuse of this policy is provided below)
This Internet Access Service sets forth an Acceptable Use Policy with the intent of protecting our service, our customers, and other users of the Internet from potentially abusive actions taken by our customers. The following policy is non-exclusive; any action about which there is doubt should be referred to Rock Port Telephone Company at 660-744-5343 or firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation. We may alter this policy from time to time as need dictates.
Statement of Responsibility
- Each dial-up, high-speed and email Internet account on this service has a password that is the key to gain access to the account. The customer who registered the account is solely responsible for all access and actions taken with regard to the account. It is the account owner's responsibility to safeguard the account password and to ensure that Acceptable Use Policies are honored. We will hold the account owner responsible for any violations of the AUP.
- Any customers directly attached to this Internet Access Service are expected to adhere to the Acceptable Use Policies. The individual who agreed to direct-connect service is responsible for educating site users on acceptable use policies. Violations of the AUP by directly attached sites will be referred to the connection purchaser for resolution. The connection purchaser will be held responsible for any violations of the AUP.
- This Internet Access Service enforces these policies with respect to our customers only. We are not responsible for abusive actions which originate from other sites or networks on the Internet.
- Each customer agrees that the Internet Access Service and any entity or person connected or affiliated therewith may release the customer's electronic communications and/or account access records to the authorities in connection with a criminal investigation or in response to a subpoena or court order, should that information be requested and is available.
Acceptable Use: Network
Acceptable use of the this Internet Access Service network facilities does NOT include:
- Attempting to circumvent user authentication or security of any host, network, or account on this Internet Access Service systems or the Internet at large ("cracking").
- Use of this Internet Access Service systems or networks (willfully or negligently) in a manner that encumbers disk space, processors, bandwidth, or other system resources so as to interfere with others' normal use of services on this Internet Access Service or other systems and networks ("denial of service" attack).
- Activities, which violate local, state or federal statues including the recently enacted Digital Millennium Copyright Act. This act specifically prohibits various activities dealing with taking and transferring copyrighted materials, such as music recordings, over the Internet network.
- This Internet Access Service bears certain legal liabilities for the use of its computer network and equipment. As such,this Internet Access Service prohibits any and all use ofthis Internet Access Services network for illegal purposes. When presented with a search warrant, this Internet Access Serviceis obligated to release any information named therein, and will cooperate with authorities in any criminal investigation of inappropriate Internet usage.
- However, this Internet Access Service recognizes that the legal status of the Internet has not yet been resolved satisfactorily, either through legislation or court precedent. Therefore, this Internet Access Service must make certain decisions regarding the illegality of various specific actions. Among the actions this Internet Access Service considers illegal and therefore will not allow on its network are: unauthorized distribution of copyrighted material; exploitation of minors; and unauthorized use of computer resources. This Internet Access Servicebelieves the First Amendment rights of free speech, freedom of the press and freedom of association apply to the Internet to the same degree as they do to print media and that any attempt to infringe upon those rights is void of legitimacy.
Acceptable Use: Domain Names
This Internet Access Service provides domain name service for web page customers. Keeping registry information updated and accurate is the responsibility of the domain holder and not this Internet Access Service. Acceptable use of this domain name service does NOT include:
- Falsifying or omitting valid domain contact information, including the administrative, technical, zone, and billing contacts.
Acceptable Use: Email
Acceptable use of Email does NOT include:
- Sending unsolicited mass mailings of any nature, including those with a "negative option" for continuation. The negative option is inviting those who do not wish to receive more email to reply to you.
- Sending a large number of email messages, or singularly large email messages, to a single address in order to flood someone's mailbox.
- Forging email headers to obscure the true originator of the message.
- Creating or participating in pyramid schemes or chain letters.
- Sending harassing email, either by language, size, or frequency. This includes sending email (or real time) messages to a person who has asked explicitly that you do not.
- Activities, which violate local, state, or federal statutes.
Acceptable Use: Internet Access
- Is is a violation of Acceptable Use of this network to use online access to engage in activities which violate local, state or federal statues including the recently enacted Digital Millennium Copyright Act. This act specifically prohibits various activities dealing with taking and transferring copyrighted materials, such as music recordings, over the Internet network.
- Dial-up connections to this Internet Access Service that are idle for 30 minutes or longer will be disconnected. Idle time is defined as a period during which no input or output is sent or received across the modem connection.
- Connections to this Internet Access Service may be disconnected after several hours of continuous access. "Unlimited Access" does not mean "continuous access". This policy is enforced to keep Internet access affordable to all subscribers.
- Multiple simultaneous logins to a single dial-up account to this Internet Access Service are prohibited.
- Use of this Internet Access Service dial-up service as a dedicated modem connection through use of redialers and idle-time traffic generators is prohibited.
- Hi-speed access services such as DSL and wireless shall be assigned changing (dynamic) IP addresses unless otherwise specified in customer agreement. We reserve the right to change these IP numbers.
- Customer is forbidden from using Internet access for resale purposes or from supplying this Internet access to other locations, customers, people, businesses or entities.
- Bandwidth speeds for dial-up and hi-speed access services will not exceed limits set by F.C.C. regulations and are the maximum available download speeds for that particular level of service. Actual speeds will vary depending on service package selected and factors such as customer's computer configuration and performance, overall Internet traffic, weather and/or other factors.
- Customers are responsible for securing customer owned equipment.
- No posting unsolicited messages to a large number of Usenet newsgroups either by cross-posting or posting to individual groups ("spamming").
- No attempting to cancel, supersede, or otherwise interfere with Usenet posts other than one's own.
- No blatant posting of articles, which violate the named charter for specific newsgroups.
- No publishing someone's real-world data (such as phone number, address, social security number, etc.) in such a way as to cause the person trouble or to incite others to do so.
- No forging Usenet header information to obscure the true originator of the message.
- No activities that violate local, state, or federal statutes.
- No Distribution of pornographic or otherwise indecent or offending materials.
- No Distribution of restricted software or materials in violation of copyrights or distribution licenses.
- No Distribution of materials, which violates local, state, or federal statutes.
Rock Port Telephone is required by law to report any violation of local, state, or federal statutes to the authority that has jurisdiction.
FAIR ACCESS POLICY. To facilitate equal Internet access for all subscribers, the Service may be subject to a running average fair access policy. Fair access establishes an equitable balance in Internet access for all customers regardless of their frequency or traffic usage. To ensure this equity, Subscriber may experience some temporary throughput limitations. Internet access is not guaranteed.
This Internet Access Service reserves the right to restrict or terminate service without refund in the event of an AUP violation. This Internet Access Service also reserves the right to take action on abuse, which is not specifically named in this AUP at the sole discretion of this Internet Access Service. Use of this Internet Access Service systems and network constitutes understanding and agreement of this policy.
Reports of Abuse
This Internet Access Service provides an email address for use in reporting abusive activities originating from our customers as outlined in this Acceptable Use Policy. Please note, we cannot handle abuse originating from customers other than our own. Report those instances to the provider/site who has authority over the abusive user.
- When reporting email or Usenet abuse, include a FULL copy of the message, including headers. This information is required in order for any action to be taken.
- When reporting other types of abuse, include details such as log files documenting the incident. We cannot act on your word alone, we must have documented proof of an incident.
- Send your report in email to email@example.com. Due to the number of reports submitted pertaining to a single abuse incident, it is not always possible for us to respond to each and every report.
NOTE: The action taken on abuse reports will be at the sole discretion of this Internet Access Service. Our intent is NOT to be The Net Police, but to simply do our part to insure quality access and use of the Internet to all of our customers and to the Internet community at large.